WHAT WE DO
The Albanian National Committee of Large Dams is a body of the Council of Ministers
which exercises state control on Dams Safety as objects of special importance and
represent the Albanian State in the International Commission of Large Dams (ICOLD)
The main Tasks of ALBCOLD are:
- Support of the technical progress in conception, construction, usage, maintenance of
dams and dykes in the interest of the country's economic and friendly development
- Approves Project ideas and Detail Designs of new dams as well as projects of repairing and improvement of existing dams and dykes which are in use;
- Perform the verifying physical and documentary control in Dams/Dykes during their construction and exploitation.
- Organizing and leading the process for preparing all legal and technical documentation that operates in dams and dykes, including preparedness plans in cases of civil emergencies.
- Awareness of state bodies and the public about the multi values of dams and dykes, but also for the very serious consequences in economic and human values in the event of their failures.
- Inform the Council of Ministers of the actual conditions of dams/dykes and gives the opinions on the normal process of their monitoring and improvement in time
- Approves the Criteria for licensing of Design and Construction of dams and dykes
- Organization of data exchange and experience between ALBCOLD and Dams Committees of other countries through experts specialized organizations within and outside the country
- Participation in ICOLD activities representing the Albanian state as well as fulfilling of
technical and financial obligations to ICOLD.
For further information on our legal mandate, please consult Law No. 8681, dated
02.11.2000 “ For Design, Construction, Operation, and Maintenance of the Dams and Dykes”,
updated as amended